The ruins of Labna (Maya for old or ruined house) lie in the gently rolling Puuc hills of Yucatan. Stephens and Catherwood arrived here in late January, 1842, and were the first outsiders to visit them. The informant who had directed them to the site had never visited them himself, and the party had no idea that the ruins were so extensive. "The accounts of the Indians were never reliable," Stephens recalled. "When they gave us reason to expect much we found but little, and... when we expected but little a great field presented itself."
This is one of the finest examples of corner ornament in the Puuc region, striking for its portrayal of a human head in the jaws of a serpent. Typical of the style, the ornament is comprised of many mosaic elements. The plain lower wall zone was once smoothly plastered, and the engraving shows that some of this plaster remained in the 19th century. The triple engaged banded columns (only two are visible) are an unusual feature. An inscription on this building has been dated to 862 A.D.